- Ingredients: 38
- Serves: 8
Beef shanks braised in soy sauce with cinnamon and star anise with *available at asian markets.
- *available at Asian markets
For lamb shanks
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarse
- 1 medium carrot, chopped coarse
- 1 celery rib, chopped coarse
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped coarse
- 3 1/2 cups Bordeaux or other full-bodied red wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 fresh tarragon sprigs
- Powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup raspberry jam
- 8 tbsps. dark rum
- 2 1-pound baskets fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced, or three 10-ounce package sliced frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed, drained well
- 8 medium bananas, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- Additional fresh strawberries
- Additional bananas
- Whipped cream
- Fresh mint sprigs
For mango ravioli
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsps. ground turmeric
- 1 cup passion fruit juice
- 1/4 cupagar agar powder
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
To cook fish and assemble dish
- Special equipment: a deep-fat thermometer
Espresso chocolate chunk:
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 tsp. espresso powder
- 3 tbsps. fudge sauce
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Step 1 In a 9-quart kettle combine water, soy sauce, Scotch, sugar, gingerroot, scallions, cinnamon, zest, and star anise and simmer mixture 10 minutes.
For this step you will need
- Step 2 Add beef shanks and cook, partially covered with lid 1/2 inch ajar, at a bare simmer 2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Step 3 About 15 minutes before meat is done, in a large bowl soak noodles in warm water to cover 5 minutes and bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Step 4 Drain noodles in a colander and boil them 5 minutes. In colander drain noodles and rinse under cold water.
- Step 5 Transfer meat with a slotted spoon to cutting board. With slotted spoon remove gingerroot, scallions, cinnamon sticks, zest, and star anise from broth and discard.
- Step 6 Add carrots and turnips to broth and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables with slotted spoon to noodles.
- Step 7 Boil broth until reduced to about 7 cups. While broth is reducing, discard bones and gristle and cut meat across grain into thin slices.
- Step 8 Divide noodles, vegetables, and meat among 8 bowls and ladle broth over them. Sprinkle mixture with coriander.