- Ingredients: 23
- Serves: 2
Cranberry sauce with dried cherries and red onion jam with *a spice blend that usually contains ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, or ginger; available in the spice section of most supermarkets..
- *A spice blend that usually contains ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, or ginger; available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
For tomato sauce:
- 5 tomatoes juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Turkish bay leaf or 1/2 California
For beef braciole:
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 3 oz. thinly sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb. beef top round, cut across the grain into 1/4-inch slices
For meatballs and other meats:
- Accompaniment: fresh egg fettuccine
For the flavoring
- 2 1/2 tsps. rosewater
- 2 cups shelled roasted unsalted pistachios
- 2 or 3 drops red food coloring
For cutting and dredging
- About 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, for dusting the cutting board
- 1/2 cup cornstarch sifted together with 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
For final assembly and decoration
- Assorted nonpoisonous flowers
- 8 1-pint containers fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 2 1/2-pint containers fresh blackberries
- 2 1/2-pint containers fresh raspberries
- 2 1/2-pint containers fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- Step 1 Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and pinch of salt. Sauté until soft but not brown, about 7 minutes.
- Step 2 Add sugar and five-spice powder; stir until sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Add cranberries, cherries, 1/2 cup water, and vinegar.
For this step you will need
- Step 3 Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until most berries have popped, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.