- Ingredients: 25
- Serves: 4
Cucumber and avocado soup with tomato and basil salad with seeded chopped tomato, fresh lime juice, plain nonfat yogurt.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, sliced, including seeds
- 2 tbsps. kosher salt
- 24 scallops
For pasta cakes
For cilantro salsa
- 1/2 cup minced white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh tomatillos
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh jalapeño chile, including seeds
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
Heat in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Special equipment: two 12-inch squares cheesecloth
To smoke duck
- 1 tsp. Darjeeling tea leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
To glaze pears
To finish sauce and duck
- Special equipment: wok with lid, heavy-duty foil, 12-inch round wire rack, 3-quart baking dish; instant-read thermometer
- Step 1 Combine cucumber and buttermilk in blender. Chop 1/4 of avocado; set aside for salad. Cut remaining avocado into chunks.
- Step 2 Add avocado to blender; then add 2 tablespoons red onion and 1 tablespoon basil. Blend until very smooth.
- Step 3 Season with salt and pepper. Cover; refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Step 4 Mix reserved avocado, remaining 2 tablespoons onion and 1 tablespoon basil, tomato and lime juice in small bowl.
For this step you will need
- Step 5 (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover soup and tomato salad separately and refrigerate.) Ladle cucumber soup into 4 bowls.
- Step 6 Dollop each with 1 tablespoon yogurt; top with tomato salad and serve.