- Ingredients: 12
- Serves: 4
Drunken beans with * available at mexican markets and some specialty produce markets..
- * available at Mexican markets and some specialty produce markets.
Chipotle rub (makes 2 teaspoons ):
- * available at Mexican markets and some specialty produce markets
For brown sugar topping
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Accompaniments:Guacamole orFresh Tomato Salsa
For the orange caramel
To assemble dish
- Special equipment: a 2- to 2 1/2-quart shallow flameproof casserole dish
- Garnish: toasted pine nuts
- Step 1 In a 6-to 7-quart ovenproof kettle cook bacon, onion, oregano, and garlic over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until onion is browned lightly.
For this step you will need
- Step 2 Add beans, water, jalapeño, and beer and bring to a boil. Bake mixture, covered, in middle of oven until beans are soft, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Step 3 Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and bake beans 10 minutes more. Check seasoning, adding remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt if necessary.