- Ingredients: 18
- Serves: 4
- Prep: 30 min
- Bake: 2 1/2 hr
Grilled charmoula quail with accompaniment: lemon wedges. To make this grilled charmoula quail for 4 persons you will need 30 min for preaparation and 2 1/2 hr for baking.
- Accompaniment: lemon wedges
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 2 tbsps. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 beets, boiled, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1 large orange, peel and pith cut away, flesh cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green Greek olives
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 large cracked-wheat hamburger buns, split horizontally
- 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced Bibb lettuce
Fontina toast and assembly:
- 2 tbsps. unsalted butter
- 2 slices brioche, quartered
- 4 oz. Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Step 1 Break cinnamon stick in half, then finely grind cinnamon, cumin, coriander, peppercorns, and cloves together in grinder.
- Step 2 Transfer spice mixture to a large bowl and whisk in paprika, cayenne, ginger, salt, cilantro, garlic, and oil.
For this step you will need
- Step 3 Add quail, turning to coat, then transfer to a large sealable plastic bag and marinate, chilled, 2 hours.
- Step 4 Thirty minutes before cooking, prepare grill for cooking over indirect heat with medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas); see “Grilling Procedure,” below.
- Step 5 Arrange 2 quail on a work surface side by side, breast sides up, with drumsticks closest to you. Horizontally thread 1 skewer through drumsticks and the lower carcasses of birds.
- Step 6 Thread a second skewer, parallel to first, through wings and upper carcasses, then arrange quail so that there is 1 inch of space between the birds.
- Step 7 Lightly season quail with salt, then grill on lightly oiled grill rack, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, 5 to 6 minutes total.