- Ingredients: 16
- Serves: 4
Grilled glass-skinned chicken with charred habanero salsa, rajas, authentic guacamole, corn tortillas.
- two 2 1/2-pound chickens, halved
- 2 cups traditional Achiote Recado
For brown sugar topping
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Accompaniments:Guacamole orFresh Tomato Salsa
For the orange caramel
To assemble dish
- Special equipment: a 2- to 2 1/2-quart shallow flameproof casserole dish
- Garnish: toasted pine nuts
- Step 1 In large sealable plastic bags or in a baking dish large enough to hold chicken in one layer combine chicken and recado, coating chicken well.
- Step 2 Remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off, and discard marinade. Bake chicken, skin sides up, on baking sheet in middle of oven until cooked through, about 50 minutes, and cool completely.
- Step 3 Put chicken, skin sides down, around edges (to avoid hottest part of coals) of an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals and grill chicken very slowly, turning it occasionally, until fat is rendered and skin is crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Step 4 (Chicken will be slightly burned and almost transparent in some places and red in color and fragile in other places.) The marinade burns easily, but don’t be discouraged-a little burned achiote tastes good.