- Ingredients: 16
- Serves: 8
Roasted pineapple tartlets with vanilla ice cream.
- Vanilla ice cream
Horseradish crème fraîche
- 1 cup finely grated peeled fresh horseradish root
- 1 8-ounce container crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 lb. red onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 tbsps. honey
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsps. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 4 9- to 10-ounce boneless rib-eye steaks, excess fat trimmed
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
For Corn Tortillas*
- Special equipment: tortilla press
- Step 1 Roll out pastry on floured surface to 11-inch squares. Using small plate as guide, cut four 5- to 5 1/2-inch rounds from each square.
- Step 2 Mix sugar and 1/2 cup water in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla beans. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush.
- Step 3 Increase heat; boil until syrup is deep amber color, swirling pan occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Step 4 Add 1 cup water (syrup will bubble vigorously), then rum. Stir over very low heat until caramel bits dissolve.
- Step 5 Simmer 2 minutes. Cool syrup 15 minutes. Pour into blender. Add banana, ginger, and chiles de árbol; puree until sauce is smooth.
- Step 6 Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pineapple in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Pour sauce over; turn pineapple to coat.
- Step 7 Roast until tender, basting often with sauce and adding more water by tablespoonfuls if sauce becomes thick, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Step 8 Preheat oven to 375°F. Transfer pineapple to work surface, scraping any sauce back into dish. Cut pineapple crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- Step 9 Cut out core from each round. Place 1 pineapple round in center of each pastry round. Brush pineapple with sauce.
- Step 10 Bake tartlets until pastry is brown, about 25 minutes. Rewarm sauce. Top each tartlet with scoop of vanilla ice cream; drizzle with warm sauce and serve.
For this step you will need