- Ingredients: 24
- Serves: 6
- Prep: 45 min
- Bake: 55 min
Soba salad with oz soba, asian sesame oil, medium red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips, 1/2 english cucumber , seeded and cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks, 1/2 lb jicama , peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks, oz mizuma or chopped trimmed baby mustard greens, scallions, cut into 3-inch-long julienne strips, seasoned rice vinegar, salt. To make this soba salad for 6 persons you will need 45 min for preaparation and 55 min for baking.
- 6 oz soba
- 1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 English cucumber , seeded and cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks
- 1/2 lb jicama , peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 oz mizuma or chopped trimmed baby mustard greens
- 4 scallions, cut into 3-inch-long julienne strips
- 1 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
For panna cotta
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups well-shaken low-fat buttermilk
- 6 tbsps. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsps. unflavored gelatin, from less than 2 envelopes
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Special equipment: 6 stainless-steel or ceramic molds
- Peach Chutney
Heat in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Special equipment: two 12-inch squares cheesecloth
To smoke duck
- 1 tsp. Darjeeling tea leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
To glaze pears
To finish sauce and duck
- Special equipment: wok with lid, heavy-duty foil, 12-inch round wire rack, 3-quart baking dish; instant-read thermometer
- Step 1 Bring 4 quarts salted water to a rolling boil in a 5- to 6-quart pot over moderately high heat.
- Step 2 Stir in noodles and 1/2 cup cold water. When water returns to a boil, add another 1/2 cup cold water and bring to a boil again, then repeat procedure once more.
- Step 3 Test noodles for doneness (soba should be just tender but still firm and chewy throughout). Drain noodles in a colander and rinse well under cold water, then drain again, thoroughly.
- Step 4 Toss together remaining ingredients in another bowl, then add to noodles and toss again to combine.