- Ingredients: 28
- Serves: 4
Steamed fiddleheads with horseradish scallion sauce with fiddleheads , cleaned, plain yogurt, mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, or to taste, dijon-style mustard, drained bottled horseradish, or to taste, finely chopped scallion green.
- 1 lb. fiddleheads , cleaned
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 tsps. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbsp. drained bottled horseradish, or to taste
- 3 tbsps. finely chopped scallion green
For Egg Sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. clarified butter
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 12 green asparagus spears, about 6 inches long
- sea salt
- Egg Sauce
- 2 tbsps. salmon roe
- Special equipment: a melon-ball cutter and a deep-fat thermometer
For the pumpkin seeds:
For the English peas:
- 20 English peas, shelled
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 8 1-pint containers fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 2 1/2-pint containers fresh blackberries
- 2 1/2-pint containers fresh raspberries
- 2 1/2-pint containers fresh blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- Step 1 In a steamer set over boiling water steam the fiddleheads for 5 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender, transfer them with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop the cooking, and transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- Step 2 In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, the mayonnaise, the lemon juice, the mustard, the horseradish, the scallion, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until the sauce is smooth, and serve the fiddleheads topped with the sauce.
For this step you will need
To clean fresh-picked fiddleheads
- Step 3 Snap off the crisp, bright green fiddlehead tops from ostrich ferns, leaving about 2 inches of stem attached.
- Step 4 Rub off the dry brown casings by hand or put the fiddleheads in a wire salad basket and whirl the basket outdoors to remove the casings.
- Step 5 Let the fiddleheads soak in a sink half full of cold water, changing the water several times to remove any grit or casing particles, and drain them.
|Calories 263||Carbohydrates 9 g (3%)|
|Fat 24 g (37%)||Protein 6 g (13%)|
|Saturated Fat 1 g (3%)||Sodium 224 mg (9%)|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g||Fiber 0 g (1%)|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g||Cholesterol 15 mg (5%)|