- Ingredients: 26
- Serves: 1
Whole-wheat bran bread risney-manning with miller wheat bran or wheat germ, whole-wheat flour, salt, baking soda, firmly packed dark brown sugar, buttermilk, unsulfured molasses, raisins if desired.
- 1 1/2 cups Miller wheat bran or wheat germ
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup raisins if desired
For the beef
- 2 tsps. soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 lb. boneless sirloin, cut across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices
For the sauce
- 3 tbsps. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. minced peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- a 4-inch fresh red chili, seeded and minced or 1/2 tbsp. dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. broccoli, cut into flowerets and the stems peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick
- cooked rice as an accompaniment
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 10 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz. asparagus tips or sugar snap peas
- 1/4 head of Napa cabbage
- 4 cups peeled jicama, cut into matchstick-size pcs.
- 3 cups pea sprouts
- Step 1 In a bowl combine the bran, the flour, the salt, the baking soda, and the brown sugar. In another bowl stir together the buttermilk and the molasses, stir the mixture into the flour mixture until the batter is combined well, and stir in the raisins.
For this step you will need
- Step 2 Spoon the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan, 8 by 4 by 3 inches, and bake it in the middle of a preheated 350°F.
- Step 3 oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Let the bread cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, invert it onto the rack, and let it cool completely.
|Calories 391||Carbohydrates 90 g (30%)|
|Fat 3 g (4%)||Protein 12 g (24%)|
|Saturated Fat 1 g (4%)||Sodium 804 mg (33%)|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g||Fiber 12 g (48%)|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g||Cholesterol 3 mg (1%)|