- Ingredients: 5
- Serves: 12
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 45 mins
- Level: easy
Wholemeal soda bread with seed and grain wholemeal bread flour, buttermilk, salt, white caster sugar, bicarbonate of soda. To make this wholemeal soda bread for 12 persons you will need 30 mins for preparation and 45 mins for baking.
- 500g Seed and grain wholemeal bread flour
- 400ml Buttermilk
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp White caster sugar
- 2tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 230°C (fan 210°C, gas mark 8).
- Step 2Place the flour, caster sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and then the buttermilk.
For this step you will need
- Step 3Bring together to give a soft dough, fold over once or twice until smooth but don’t over knead as you need to keep as much air as possible in the dough.
- Step 4Turn the dough out onto a greased baking tray and shape into a round 4cm deep. Cut a deep cross in the centre to divide into 4, without cutting all the way through. Dust with a little extra flour before baking.
- Step 5Bake the bread immediately for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 200°C (fan 180°C, gas mark 6) and bake for a further 30 minutes until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.